


I'm currently in Seattle, having spent a week in British Columbia. We travelled west of Vancouver for seven hours to get to this little valley of conifers, glacial lakes, rusted mining equipment and old hippie draft-dodgers. I have nine thousand smudgy pictures of trees and mountains, and one completely out-of-focus picture of something I know was a porcupine. The trip was fabulous.

5 comments:
Porcupines, eh? I had no idea monotremes were endemic to the Canadian Rockies, young Al. Whatever, it might be beautiful, but there's more bio-diversity in the Simpson Desert...
Might this 7-hour trip east from Vancouver have brought you to the bustling metropolis of Nelson, perhaps? At my BR+E trainging last year in Melbourne I met a rather engaging chap from Nelson with expertise in regional development stuff, who runs an organisation charmingly called CIEL (French for 'sky'). Apparently Nelson is a bit of a success story, as indeed is the late Admiral's other eponymous town, in NZ.
Good to see you made it to Van. Sad to see we only get to see 3 pictures out of the 9000. Hope that you drove EAST of Van for seven hours, not WEST, because that would have been quite wet in a car.
Porcupine, eh? But no deer? no moose? no mountain sheep? no wapiti? Man, you had to go another seven hours into Banff and Jasper! ;)
Enjoy Seattle then!
Spectacular! What a place to see! Enjoy Seatle - hope you can sleep...
Shazzy wishes she could have an out of body experience so she could be in Canada too! She's sooo jealous. Oh and so am I!!!!
East, east, east, yes, directions have never been a strong point of mine.
We did indeed go to Nelson, where I did my bit for the local economy by eating a delicious bison burger, and buying a gardening hat in the op shop. The town exuded successful BR+E-ness, and I think Harold should go on a Monto-Nelson comparative tour.
As for wildlife, we almost ran over some mountain goats, got squeaked at by a colony of ground squirrels, and had to sing and clap as we walked to warn the bears of our approach. No elk though.
Post a Comment