Friday, July 25, 2008

hummingbirds (or, the fuschia is rosy)



I was waiting for my watering can to fill last Wednesday, when I noticed a hummingbird flitting about the fuschias. I love hummingbirds. They just seem so implausible, yet they're a relatively common sight in San Francisco. This particular one skittered and swooped amongst the flowers, but after I put down the watering can and picked up my camera, it failed to return. Later that afternoon, I went for a walk up to Buena Vista park. The vista was indeed buena, and as I turned to leave, I noticed another hummingbird. I had no great hopes for the photo, but you can indeed see the brown and green shape, amongst the brown and green foliage.

I've planted a Californian fuschia in my companion's garden, in the hope of attracting hummingbirds next summer.

2 comments:

Clotilde said...

Love the hummingbird pic.

To maximise your companion's chances of having them in her garden, I would recommend the window feeder: you get to see them right at your window. You hang it with succion cups (example: http://www.backyardbird.com/wihufe.html ). My parents-in-law have one and it works great!

themeda said...

aha! that could be just the thing...