Thursday, July 17, 2008

for a city with so many hills, there are a surprising number of cyclists


On Monday, I braved the traffic of San Francisco for the first time and rode my companion's bike home from her office. It was a little alarming downtown, as the bicycle lane suddenly became a bus lane at various points. Having previously seen a low-speed collision between my tram and a cyclist, rather than zipping in front of the bus, I took the less valorous route of pulling off to the footpath and waiting until traffic cleared. Once I made it out of downtown, it was positively pleasant. There was a bike lane most of the way, and a flock of fellow cyclists to follow when I became confused. And it wasn't even too steep, thanks to the signage indicating bicycle routes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wimp! As one who routinely battles with the most dangerous of all road warriors - the ute-driving tradie - as well as buses, b-doubles etc. on Moggill Rd without the benefit of any bicycle lane infrastructure (shared or otherwise) I'm not impressed...

I also note your reference to 'tram'. Does the Bay Area public transport system now extend to electric light rail, or is this a reference to the cable car system?

themeda said...

yes, yes, I know I'm a wimp, but all my instincts are back to front as well, what with those americans driving on the wrong side and all.

maybe you could get an 'Allowed full use of the lane' t-shirt to help calm those tradies.

and as for the trams... stay tuned, I'll have pictures shortly.