Tuesday, July 15, 2008

hot springs detectives!



These pictures of sparkly rivers and muddy pools indicate a return to some of the remaining 8000 photos from Canada. Knowing my fondness for both volcanoes and hot baths, my Canadian companion very obligingly borrowed out 'Hot Springs of the North-West' prior to our trip. I spent many a happy moment flicking through its pages, giggling at the splendid beards and lurid swimwear sported by Canadians in the 1980s, and scheming our detour to a particular pool. It involved quite a drive, then a further detour down a logging road, then a steep walk down a gully (where I will admit that I got us a little lost... but only for a few moments), until we arrived at the river shown in the first picture (photo credit for this one to my companion - I was busy boiling myself in the muddy pool). If you look carefully on the left, you can see the prime hot spring site, with a splendid view of the river and mountains. Unfortunately, it was occupied by unfriendly Americans, so we moved to the more forested delights of the other pool.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"unfriendly Americans"

Strangely, this seems to be the only species of them seen beyond the confines of their territory. Within the 50 states, there are other species in profusion, but not abroad.

Meanwhile, back on topic - it's difficult to tell from summertime photos how hot these springs are. Further information, please. And do they have that strangely calming hydrogen sulphide smell?

themeda said...

Oh, come now, I have good evidence that at least one friendly American has managed to escape the border...

As for the hot springs, they were quite steamy - too uncomfortable to be in the water direct from the spring.. I suspect about 70 degrees? And I did indeed come out smelling somewhat diabolic, though my skin has never been better.

Unknown said...

OK, there may be some pleasant seppo expatriates, although I've yet to see evidence for it outside the Australian citizenship application queues.