

This morning, I did some volunteer work counting little rare daisies. They didn't seem that rare when I was kneeling in the middle of the patch, but they grow on partially stabilised dunes, which used to cover much of western San Francisco. Over the last hundred years, the dunes have been converted to housing and other urban development, and there are only a few populations of the plant left. Still, it's estimated that there are 150 000 or so now, up from nineteen individual plants in the 1980s. I counted 1546 of them this morning.

3 comments:
Are you serious??? You counted daisies?? You must have the patience of a saint.
Mind you - counting daisies is probably better than sitting in an office. Wanna swap ?
I did it twice! Which meant that I foolishly went back for more. Seriously, the fieldwork here is very mild-mannered - no snakes, no spiders, no savage ants, almost never any burning sun. I'm getting soft!
Post a Comment