Monday, August 4, 2008

elk!




On Sunday, we drove up to Point Reyes. It's a strip of land, separated from the mainland by a narrow bay formed along the San Andreas fault. Because it's so far out in to the ocean, it's often blanketed by fog, even when the weather's sunny a few miles away. We went for a walk out towards Tomales Point, where the national parks people have successfully reintroduced the Tule Elk. We stopped and peered through the telescopes of the ranger guides, and I took many photos of smudgy brown blobs on the hillside. Later on in our walk, I took a brief side trip to see if I could see where the bay joins with the ocean. I saw some female elk off in the distance, then the distinctive antlers of a group of males about thirty metres away. I backed away and hid behind a rock, and watched them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Who said herbivores aren't scary?

Mary Abler said...

i love your blog! what amazing pictures. makes me see san francisco from a totally different perspective! thank you so much for sharing.