Monday, July 20, 2009

cultural heritage and continuation



I was quite impressed with the information provided by the rangers and the interpretation material about the archeology, ecology and management of the park. It wasn't just informative, but underlined how the descendants of the people who used to live here, were still living. They were just down the road, in the pueblos, and still felt a strong connection to their relatives who lived in these buildings and dwellings, and before that, had lived across in the north-west corner of New Mexico.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I notice those rows of holes above (or below?) what I assume were habitations. Were these for verandahs, or perhaps awnings? I like the idea of these precolumbian troglodytic urbanites relaxing on their verahdahs to sip perhaps fermented cactus juice on a warm afternoon...

themeda said...

well, actually they were the holes for the floorbeams for the next level... the buildings were up to three stories tall along this bit. I suspect a spot of fermented cactus juice drinking went on, either right at the top, or in the pleasant warm spot right out the front. people tend to be sensible about such things, as far as I can see.